Tuesday, July 13, 2010

And now for someone I do totally fangirl for

I freaking love Bob Bailey.

"Training is a mechanical skill."

That's it, right there. That's the magic secret of dog training (how do you get to Carnegie Hall IFCS World Agility Championships? Practice practice practice).

I love this interview with him. Because honestly, BB does not give a flying crap about all the drama and baggage dog trainers have. He just trains animals.

He is not the plucky hero, the traditional methods are not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena. He just trains animals.

He preaches no great wisdom from the altar of the clicker religion about what he has learned from working in a delicate dance with our animal brethren ("Animal training, and animal behavior, has consumed a large part of my life.... Clicker training has had little impact on what I did, or what I will do.... Clicker training has not taught me a whole bunch.")

He just. trains. animals.

Brilliant.

Training is a mechanical skill. Training is a mechanical skill. Training is a mechanical skill.

Excuse me, I need to go find a chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment